1.01.2008

A New Year's Day Michigan Miracle, Maryland Style


(Edit. Note: Budweiser 10 oz. cans are a cultural mainstay on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, from where I moved to Michigan -- this is from an e-mail to a group of Maryland friends)

On Monday afternoon, on walking into my local ski shop -- Don Orr's Ski Haus -- the proprietor greeted me with my latest pair of skis and a cold beer in thanks for my continued patronage. The odd fact was that the beer was a Budweiser -- not our usual local Labatt Blue - and it was a 10 oz.er!! I immediately demanded to know where they came from, as Michigan is far from the natural habitat of the 10 oz.er. He explained they were on deep clearance at my own regular grocery, as the stock had been delivered there by mistake!! After an early afternoon ski around the grounds of our old State Hospital this afternoon, I combed the walk-in beer cooler at the Oleson's to find 4 cases of 10 oz.ers -- which now reside with me.

Coincidently, on Sunday I randomly saw a fellow ski instructor munching on a bag of chips with a familiar logo. Sure enough they were Utz Crab Chips! Instructor Al feigned ignorance, saying that his wife packed his lunch, but I'll crack his source before the season is through. In the real coincidence, just last week as apart of a Secret Santa group (thanks again Esther!!) spread across the nation, I received a Maryland care package filled with Baltimore & Maryland, including National Boh wear, Clipper City brew and Utz Crab Chips!! Good times -- good times indeed.

No comments: